The Nigerian Correctional Service has confirmed that there was an attack on the Custodial Centre in the Kuje area council of the Federal Capital Territory.
In a statement by its spokesperson, Umar Abubakar, in the early hours of Wednesday, he said the armed squad of the service in collaboration with other security agencies responded to the attack.
He, however, said calm had been returned to the area.
The statement was titled, “Medium Security Custodial Centre, Kuje attacked by gunmen.”
It read, “I wish to confirm that at about 2200hrs, some yet-to-be-identified gunmen attacked the Medium Security Custodial Centre, Kuje, in the Federal Capital Territory.
“However, men of the Armed Squad of the Nigerian Correctional Service and other security agencies attached to the Custodial Centre have responded and calm has been restored to the facility and the situation is under control.
“Other details will be made available soon.”
The Kuje Custodial Centre located in Nigeria’s Federal Capital Territory came under attack late Tuesday night apparently to free jailed criminals, despite an earlier warning by the country’s intelligence service.
A prison source said that the State Security Service had “earlier today (Tuesday)” warned of an impending attack on Kuje prison. The source, however, could not describe the level of measures put in place to forestall the attack.
“Kuje prison is under massive bomb, armed attack,” said as the attack was being carried out late Tuesday.
In the later update that emerged, the source said the attackers used three bombs and forcibly gained control of four entry and exit points.
The prison is in Kuje Area Council of the FCT, lying outside the Abuja city centre, 47 kilometres to the Aso Rock Presidential Villa, and 24 kilometres to the Airport
Dangerous criminals, including apprehended Boko Haram terrorists, are held in the prison, which also houses high profile public officers standing trial or already convicted.