The Zamfara State Government said it is considering the suspension of telecommunication services in the state following the upsurge of terrorism activities in the state.
The information came against the backdrop of circulating speculations that the government halted telecommunication activities in the state.
The conjectures that have so far generated concerns among residents were debunked by the government in a statement on Thursday.
The Special Adviser to Governor Matawalle on Media, Zailani Bappa through the statement noted that when the need to “shut down becomes necessary, it can be employed once again.
“But at no point in time did His Excellency announce the shutdown of telecommunication services, nor requested the discharging Agency for its implementation.
“This is to put the record properly please”.
Speaking further, the government berated the proliferation of terrorism activities in the state while commiserating with the families of the recently abducted young entrepreneurs of Bebeji Plaza.
“It is not enough for Government to commiserate with victims like everyone else, but to inform the general public what measures it is taking to address the challenges at hand.”
Consequently, the government said it has rallied security functionaries in the state around the new strategy of addressing the challenges posed by bandits, especially as the rainy season approaches”.
The state has recorded an increase in kidnappings and killings in recent times due to terrorism activities reported in some communities.