President of the Nigerian Labour Congress, Ayuba Wabba has hinted on plans to resume the suspended strike action in Kaduna state.
The Congress, had earlier frowned at the continued violation of workers’ rights as provided in the labour laws by the state government.
Recall that in the month of May, the leadership of the Congress had suspended its five-day strike action to protest the decision of the state government to lay-off thousands of civil servants in the state.
The suspension, according to the Congress, was to honour the Federal Government’s effort in resolving the face-off between the congress and the Kaduna State Government.
The Congress said that State Government has flaunted all the clauses in the agreement freely entered with the Congress, hence the reactivation of the strike action.
Wabba after an emergency National Executive Council meeting of the congress in Abuja on Tuesday, said that the congress has directed its State Councils and affiliate unions to mobilize for the latest action.
He said that State Governor, Nasir El – Rufai has failed to comply with the Memorandum of Understanding brokered between the NLC and the state government by the Federal Government.
The Congress had in a letter to President Muhammadu Buhari stated that the Kaduna State Government remain adamant and recalcitrant as it continued to pursue the path of war, threat and punitive actions against workers and their interests.
“Your Excellency, Mr. President, the National Executive Council (NEC) of the NLC on May 25, resolved that in case the Kaduna State Government remain adamant and recalcitrant or continues to pursue the path of war, threat and punitive actions against workers and their interests.
“The Congress had given the National Administrative Council (NAC) the power to re-activate the suspended industrial action in Kaduna State and also call for the withdrawal of all workers in Nigeria without any further notice,” the letter reads.